I could blame the fact I've been snowed under with work or the weekends spent away from home.....Lisbon and North York Moors don't you know but really I've just been a little slack. My current project is yet again a baby quilt but I've gone a little more adventurous.
Project 4; Baby quilt for Jill - due early December
I don't know the sex of the baby so perhaps misguidely I've opted for a mainly pink scheme but there are some blues in there....come on gender colours for babies is sooooo over-rated ;D
The design changed quite a lot and the husband had a helping hand in getting the final look right.
Carrots are integral to good quilt design
So the top is all sewn together and I had to find a backing - pink was too pink and blue wasn't quite right so I settled on white. But.....got a little creative

Now here's the science bit.......so Jill is my current boss and in our lab we're all pretty much stuck on GPCR's (G-protein coupled receptors) and without going into too much detail that there on the right is one :)
For my own spot of creativity I've created Jill her own Pink GPCR with my favourite C-term heart motif :)
Now I just need to combine both together...hopefully they won't look too weird together or else there's a lot more sewing to do!
Couple of purchases - my very own rotary cutter....buying which I got ID'd!! so now into the 30's I still look under 18 and likely to mug a granny with my lethal rotary cutter.
And a darning foot which I hope actually does double as a free motion quilting foot....the next challenge :)
Aforementioned husband really is lovely and bought me some flowers while I was feeling a little ill last week :D
How very creative. A quilt for baby and an encrypted message for Mum on the back! It's looking good. A rotary cutter will take you a long way on your quilting journey, so good purchase. I'm not so sure about the darning foot doubling as a walking foot. Both are used in machine quilting but the setting for your "machine dogs" is different for each foot. Try the darning foot but check it before you do too much. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteDear Liz
ReplyDeletethank you for your comments! sorry I took so long in replying. I managed to finish the quilt in time and will try and blog about it soon.
I've never tried free motion quilting before so am a little ignorant on what's best. My 'machine dogs' don't depress unfortunately so I might have to make do with covering them with a bit of cardboard. Do you have any advice on the best way to start out for free motion or the best machine foot to use?
I really enjoy reading your blog by the way!